Carbon trading won’t save our forests

July 4, 2009 at 9:06 am Leave a comment

From the Portuguese: "REDD - A wrong solution to climate change"

Below are some excepts from Susan Austin’s great new article about an Australian carbon-trading greenwash scandal.

She takes apart claims made in a new Australian film that carbon offset schemes like the Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation in Developing Countries (REDD) are a way to make millions, and save the environment at the same time.

The reality about these swindles is: making mega-bucks yes, helping stop climate change no.

The full article can read at Links.

*****

“Along with over 400 other people, I turned up to the Wrest Point Casino here to attend the premiere of The Burning Season on June 1. I had the film’s headline — “As inspiring as The Inconvenient Truth was frightening” in the back of my mind, hoping for a good news story. Instead I sat through a well-orchestrated promo for a carbon trading company, set up by a young Australian-based millionaire whose message was that it is possible to make money and save the environment at the same time”

***

“According to [Indonesian environmental group] WALHI, which investigated the project’s sales and marketing agreement signed in July 2008, 30% of the credits generated will be set aside as a “risk management buffer” (presumably to account for concerns over permanence) and the remaining 70% sold. The proceeds from the sale of these credits will be managed by a “collection agent” to be jointly selected by Carbon Conservation and the Aceh government. After the collection agent has taken its fee (the amount of which is not clear), the remainder is distributed 15% to Carbon Conservation as a marketing fee and 85% to the project account. The project account will be used to distribute funds to the local communities. Both the collection agent and Carbon Conservation potentially stand to make large amounts of money out of the scheme.”

***

“By making a one-sided film on such a controversial issue, the filmmakers have attempted to hide the debate, and instead try to convince us that a simplistic solution is possible – pay the locals to protect rather than log their forests.

“The Burning Season includes just one short acknowledgement of the widespread concern among environmentalists about carbon trading and carbon offsetting, in the form of a statement from an environmentalist based in Indonesia. He pointed out the major flaw in such schemes – the way they allow big polluting companies in the developed world to continue polluting by simply paying to reduce emissions elsewhere.”

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Carbon offsets, Carbon trading scheme, Forests, REDD.

Greening the reds, reddening the greens in Britain Climate emergency requires emergency action

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed



%d bloggers like this: